Thursday, April 15, 2010

Navy Day Trip


On Wednesday our class took an interesting field trip to CFB Esquimalt, the Naval Base. We arrived in the morning and waited until the organizer, Darelle, arrived. She gave us an introduction, then immediately took us on a walk to fleet school, where the Navy students learn to do their trade. Once there, we split off into groups and started on our way.
The first place my group visited, after a quick look at the woodworking room, was the electrical section of the school. Our guide, Fillion, happened to have a thick, sort of hard to understand French accent. He showed us all these hands-on classrooms that had intricate-looking equipment. If I was allowed to, which I was obviously not, I totally would have gone and fiddled with all the wires and switches, trying to see how they all work together. After numerous confusing classrooms (due to Fillion's fast explanation
s and the complex diagrams plastering the walls) we ventured over to the machinery, and Fillion left us with some other guy who knew what all the machines did. I can't quite remember where that was because the whole place was so huge. Every little hall lead to another room filled with things like motors, engines, welding equipment, etc. and everything was pretty organized in each room. I was surprised about how many categories of jobs there were. Finally, our tour was finished and my head was swimming with all the information I had absorbed along the way.
Next was lunch at the cafeteria. Surprisingly, they had amazing food, but that's just my opinion. The place served everything from sandwiches and salad to pasta and cereal, and I even had marshmallow salad! It's something I will have to find out how to make. Once lunch was over and we were all stuffed, we headed out for another walk, but this time it was to go tour the ships. It turns out they are not quite as big inside, in fact, they were completely stuffy and small. Out tour guide was super nice, and he showed us around inside the ship. The stairs were really steep, but we saw a bunch of sailors effortlessly slide down them, which was a bit humorous seeing how they are supposed to be serious. There were these weird red hatches everywhere in the ship, and it turns out they were emergency trap doors used to escape from fires, and the odd curious person you may have needed to escape from when playing a prank... but never mind about that. Over all, the whole trip was pretty fun, and I originally thought it was going to be quite boring, but the people in the Navy proved me wrong. Just don't expect me to be joining the Navy anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment