Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rowing

Rowing is a sport for both male and female athletes. There are four types of boats including a single, a double, a quad, and an eight. In an eight there is, obviously eight people, and a coxen which is the person who controls the boat. A quad is with four people, and single and doubles are self explanatory. In sweep or sweep-oar rowing, each rower has one oar, held with both hands. This can be done in pairs, fours and eights. Each rower in a sweep boat is referred to either as "port" or "starboard", depending on which side of the boat the rower's oar extends to. The oars which are held in place by the oarlocks to move the boat forward (towards the bow of the boat). Rowing can be done on any large body of water, including a river, lake or sea. There is also indoor rowing, strictly for training as a workout. The machines are called "ergs" and they measure the km performed. It is a great sport, and it gives you great exercise and makes you feel good and refreshed. I definitely recommend this sport too anybody that is interested.

11 comments:

  1. I love rowing to but missed the chance to join the rowing club at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to do rowing but I broke my arm.
    Didn't find any errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information. I wish too that I'd joined rowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to do rowing this year, but I decided not to. After reading your post, it seems more intersting now than I thought it was before. Nice work, you made very little mistakes or gramatical errors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think you need to write a little bit more and i think that the polotics need to get involved

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenna, I really enjoy rowing and im glad you chose to write your blog about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jenna! You were very descriptive. And congrats on the Ribbon !

    ReplyDelete